Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Which way to slip?

Hi all! I noticed this question from Robin in one of the earlier comments:

When you slip a stitch with the yarn held to the front or back, do you slip knit-wise or purl-wise? I've tried both and rather than figuring it out, now I am more confused. Please help!

Here I am ashamed to admit that, although I've done this step approximately fifty kafillion times by now, I had to actually stop and think about it. ;) So, I got out my books and double-checked, then got out my own Ivy and double-checked again...

When I do this step, I always slip purlwise, simply shifting the stitch from one needle to the next without changing the way it faces. (This is the way the stitch is instructed in Vogue Knitting, 1989 ed p 126.) If you have been slipping it knitwise, then you'll probably see a slight twist in the way that single cabled stitch lies across the others, but I honestly don't think it will drastically change the integrity of the piece overall.


This is an almost-current picture of my second Ivy, in Elann's Highland Silk. (A little rumpled and blurry, but no less loved.) I'm halfway done the first sleeve and am already experiencing a bit of Second Sleeve Syndrome - not a good sign, right? But I love the way the yarn feels and so I will persevere.

This yarn is providing a more 'plump' knitted fabric, and much stronger stitch definition with the cabling. As a result I think some drape quality will be sacrificed, but it will certainly be warm and cozy and I look forward to wearing it. (I also am very impatient to finish it and get on with the other 4 sweaters I want to knit, oh, before Christmas...but don't tell Ivy ;) )

3 Comments:

Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

This is when I'm happy to be a combined knitter. I knit through the leading edge of the stitch regardless of which way it is mounted on the needle. I'm trying to remember which way I've been slipping, I think I slip knitwise on the RS row and purlwise on the WS row, but it is moot in the end. I just work that cabled stitch through the leading edge, front or back, and it doesn't get twisted.

That really is a gorgeous color in the Highland Silk.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

I have been slipping purlwise. I was told that doing it that way won't twist the stitches. It just transfers them to the other needle.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for clarifying this for me!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home