Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ivy is in progress

Hi everyone! I received my yarn from Elann in less than a week and Ivy is officially in progress. I am knitting the size XS (32) in "Smoldering Ember" and have completed the twisted rib section and just finished my 3rd increase row. So far I have made one adjustment to the pattern by adding a set up row - row 6 of the pattern - because I didn't like the way the cast on edge looked on the right side (I used long tail method).

The ribbing section is considerably smaller than the stockinette stitch portion and is shown here blocked to about 16.25" - slightly larger than the finished size called for in the pattern. Although my bust measurement is 34", I am knitting the smaller size because of the proportion of ribbing to the rest of the body and because every wrap sweater I have ever bought stretched out in the bust after wearing. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work out as planned. My other option is to work the ribbing for the size 36 and the rest of the body for the 32.

The yarn is very soft and fuzzy but is splitty and has no give (bounce, stretch whatever you want to call it) even thought it is plied. This is my first experience knitting with alpaca or Tencel, so I'm not sure if this is because of the fiber or the ply. The result is a little stringy - the cables don't !pop! they way I would prefer. It is suitable for this project, the last thing I need is more stash, but I don't think I would use it again.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started my IVY, and I am confused about one thing... The directions say to repeat the ribbing pattern four times, but there seem to be about eight twists in yours. Am I missing something? Did you do more repeats? Help, please.

Erin

1:24 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

Tarilyn, first, nice to see that color. I had been toying between the ember and the exotic red. I find I'm having a similar experience with the yarn and am oh so close to tossing it aside for my first choice of the Lavold Silky Wool.

9:50 AM  
Blogger g-girl said...

the color is gorgeous..I was glad to hear that you played around a bit with the ribbing. I have yet to start mine but I already know that for me, I'm going to need to reduce the stockinette portion because it would just hang on my small torso. :P I hope the experience with the yarn gets a lil better..

2:29 PM  
Blogger Glenna C said...

Tarylin - that looks lovely so far! Adding an extra row to the beginning is probably a good idea. You are right that the cables won't 'pop' as much with this yarn, it is a bit of a sacrifice in favour of the drape that it gives to the stockinette sections ;) I hope the rest of it works well for you!

Erin - you are right that there are more than 4 repeats of the ribbing. The first 4 repeats are followed by 4 more repeats that incorporate decrease rows.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Susie H said...

This looks TERRIFIC - I love that shade as well. You're really smoking along - I am impressed. Finished up my socks here, down to the wrist warmers I must do, but I think Ivy may get swatched somewhere in here soon...

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kemma said...

Gorgeous! My Smoldering Ember just arrived in the afternoon post, and I've dug out some needles, and will merrily swatch that puppy tonight, in hopes of having an actual Cast On this weekend.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Tarilyn said...

Thanks for all the comments! After my first post, I decided to make a radical decision: I frogged the portion I had already knit back to the last row of ribbing and put it on hold. I figured out that the ribbing section for the XS back is the same as the Med for both fronts, so I am going to knit the ribbing for the size Medium, eliminate the increases all together and see what happens! Woo Hoo! Knitting is fun!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home