Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Front pieces - side shaping and neckline shaping "at the same time"

I've received a few emails and seen inquiries here in the KAL about what the front piece is all about: What does it mean to do the side shaping and the neckline shaping "at the same time?"

Answer: You do exactly that, starting both of these steps at the same time. This is the additional explanation I have provided to a couple of other people:

For the front pieces, the neckline shaping and all shaping at the sides (waist and then armhole) are worked at the same time. They begin at the same time after the ribbing has been completed. It means that, for example, while you are making an increase every 6th row for the side increases, you will still be making the decreases along the neckline (while keeping the single repeat of the twisted ribbing pattern along ne neckline also).

Mostly, it means that you have to remind yourself to be mindful of both of these things, so that you don't end up with a perfectly formed neckline but no side shaping or armhole shaping!


I hope this provides some clarity for any stumped Ivy knitters. Happy knitting!

[EDIT]: In the comments, Alyssa provides additional suggestions for how she kept track of the simultaneous side-increases and neckline-decreases. Thanks, Alyssa!


And, for something extra, here is a photo of my completed 2nd Ivy (finally) assembled and blocking, and waiting to dry:


This one was knitted with Elann's Highland Silk (80% highland wool, 20% silk), which is decidedly plumper at 13 wpi (as compared to the 15 wpi I get for Quechua, despite them both being labelled as DK weight). Nevertheless, it has knitted up to a firm but cozy fabric, and I like the colour quite a bit. I only wish it would dry a bit faster, but given the rain and humidity we've had around my parts the last few days...it'll be a bit longer ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

I am currently in the midst of neck and side shaping. What I did was write down what I am supposed to be doing each row, e.g K1, M1 do Pattern Row 1 (though I am using my usual shorthand). It took a few minutes to write out, but once I started knitting I just had to glance at my worksheet to see what I needed to do. Now that I'm on the second front piece, I can use the same worksheet since the shaping is the same.

You second Ivy is gorgeous! Can't wait to finish mine:)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

What are you blocking that on, some kind of foamy play thing? Where does one find those?

1:16 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

What are you blocking that on, some kind of foamy play thing? Where does one find those?

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home