Monday, February 19, 2007

Getting Started

Hi, all!


Finally, I've gotten started on my own Ivy. Swatching with Highland Silk in a light purple (the flash turned it sky blue), I got down to size 2 (US) needles without getting gauge. I'm at 5.5 stitches to the inch and 7 rows to the inch. As I can't wrap my head around the thought of knitting an entire sweater on size 1 needles, I've heaved a sigh, and cast on a sleeve as an even bigger gauge swatch. Here's two days of knitting time, pictured below. I'm using the stitch counts for the 40" size, and we'll see how far off I am when the sleeve is done. I have altered the cuff of the sleeve to be 7 repeats instead of 8, because I have slightly short arms.


So far? I'm *really* liking the pattern in this wool, and I think my gauge might not be quite as far off as the swatch told me. Stay tuned for further details, and pray I don't need to RRRRIP it. Heh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

Hi Susie!
Other knitters have had success with Highland Silk, so just keep measuring gauge as you go and I'm sure you can do it. :)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the highland silk! Your sleeve is looking great.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home