Thursday, February 15, 2007

Just joined the KAL

Hello Ivy Knitters. I just joined the knitalong. I have finished the back and left front of my Ivy. I am almost done with the right front. I am using Harrisville Shetland in a discontinued color called american dream which is a bright pink. I picked it up for 75 cents a skein at Harrisville's big sale a couple years ago. With the free pattern and cheap yarn this sweater will cost me about $6.

Before I start the sleeves I would like your input. I have very small wrists and am not all that fond of bell sleeves, so was thinking of casting on just the 61 stitches and do 4 repeats of the cable pattern as if you are past the second decrease. I may even use 1 needle size smaller to make it a bit tighter.

What do you think? Thanks for any input you can provide!

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

Hi Deirdre - wow, what a bargain! I didn't think it was possible to knit a whole sweater for $6.

I think your idea of simply skipping the decreases and starting with a smaller # of stitches on the sleeves would be just fine - and the advantage is that, if you are doing that for the cuff, if it doesn't look right you'll be able to tell right away and can start over without too much tribulation!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

That's exactly what I did. I am not a fan of bell sleeves either. I am making the 44" size. So for my sleeves, I cast on just 69 stitches and skipped the decreases. I work all the rows of that pattern, just with the pattern:
K2, p2tog, [k3, p1, k3,p1] to last 2 stitches, k2.

It worked beautifully. Go for it.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Thanks Glenna! I love your pattern.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home